Saturday, February 24, 2007

I'm not a MRRL anymore

Working on the search engine part of the project, I was happy and surprised at the available options to use as tools. Years ago, Hotbot.com was the engine of choice and I did use it to find items I could not find elsewhere. However, it came and went [at least in popularity] without much of a bang. Today, you hear about google and I don't use it much, I prefer dogpile.com which also searches google and most of the other search engines. There is a difference between google and dogpile on which engines they target first and I am more comfortable with dogpile. Using the choice on this assignment, here is what I found: I used neuropsychology as my subject. Usually people spell neuro psychology instead of neuropsychology and only one of the engines noticed the incorrect spelling.

Exalead let off with sponsored results and then the normal search, even with the pix on the side, I found it not interesting enough to try.

Wink is a people or find people with similar interest is fine if that is what you want. I tried to narrow the search to a specific area but didn't find what I wanted.

Gravee never connected... so it sucked.

Clusty reminded [name] reminded me of a female I know but the engine itself, noticed my spelling error [applaud], gave me a number of other relevant choices and made me feel like I could make progress.

Mooter If I was Ed Bundy, I would sing "Mooter. Mooter. Yum, Yum. Yum. Mooter. Mooter on a search engine that's dumb." I didn't like the cluster look, so I moved on.

Kartoo at first glance was too crowded, so I moved on.

Yahoo. is an advertising whore and it never brings up what I want.

I will go back at a later date and use all of these tools with different search criteria and see what works best for certain situation.






No comments: